Owners & masters
Master Joe and Master Sheryl Schaefer started their first school in 1987. Since then they have started 10 schools and trained thousands of adults and kids. Now they focus all their energy and attention on the North Austin Kung Fu & Tai Chi school. They are involved in teaching all programs, all belt levels and all ages.
Master Joe Schaefer
Elder Master, 8th degree black belt
- Has trained in Shaolin Kung Fu since 1984. His first instructor was Tony Gutman.
Has taught Kung Fu/ Tai Chi since 1987.
Was promoted to 5th degree Black Belt in 1999 by Grandmaster Sin
Was promoted to 6th degree black belt in 2005 by Grandmaster Sin
- Was promoted to 7th degree black belt in fall 2011 by Grandmaster Sin.
- Was promoted to 8th degree black belt 2019 by Grandmaster Sin.
He taught neurophysiology for 6 years at UT.
He received his Ph.D. (doctorate) in Neurophysiology from UT in 1997.
He was awarded young researcher of the year in 1996 and became a published Neuroscience author, in the most prestigious Neuroscience publication in the world.
- He won first place and Grand Championship trophies in several national level full contact, point sparring and forms competitions.
- In 2003 he took 2nd place in the Master Sparring Division against 5th-7th degree black belts.
- Has performed three times at the Shaolin Temple in Henan province
- Performed at Chen Tai Chi village, where he fought and won a challenge match with a 3 times Chinese National Push Hands Champion, and nephew of the head coach.
- He teaches over 200 traditional Kung Fu and Tai Chi forms.
- He is a certified coach in the neurofeedback based Open Focus™ method and neurosynchrony trainer.
Master Sheryl Schaefer
6th Degree Black Belt
- Began training in 1988
- 25 years teaching Kung Fu and Tai Chi.
- Has taught University level Comparative Physiology,
- Has taught University level Entomology,
- Has taught University level Developmental Biology
- Earned a Master Degree In Physiology in 1998 from UT at Austin.
- 10+ Years facilitating Women’s empowerment retreats and seminars.
- Has personally taught Kung Fu and Tai Chi to over a thousand adults.
- Winner of national level Kung Fu tournament
- Promoted to 5th degree black belt by Grandmaster Sin in 2011
- Promoted to 6th degree black belt by Grandmaster Sin in 2017
- One of the highest ranked Women in Shaolin-Do
- Co-founder of the largest Shaolin-Do school in the world
- Founded the Shaolin-Do Marathon team and has run multiple marathons
- Founded “Yarned and Dangerous”, a community action group that knits and crotchets items for the homeless and other needy groups.
- GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT – Returned to training and advanced in rank TWICE (after each child)